Facts about auto-theft
Some statistics you may want to know about vehicle theft:
- Vehicle theft is one of the most frequent crimes committed in Canada according to police reported data.
- Police reported over 79,000 motor vehicle thefts in 2016. That’s roughly 216 stolen vehicles each day.
- About two-thirds of all stolen vehicles were taken from public areas such as parking lots and streets. The remaining third were taken from private residences.
- Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) statistics show that car theft costs Canadians about $1 billion a year including health care expenses, court, policing, legal and out of pocket costs such as deductibles.**
* Source: Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) 2017
** Source: Statistics Canada, 2016.