Chosen by millions worldwide, Audi quattro® is a born winner. With unmatched stability and control in all driving conditions, quattro® technology provides enhanced safety and improved driving dynamics.
A full-time reliable ride
- An electro-hydraulically controlled Multi-Plate Clutch distributes power to the front and rear axle, responding almost instantly to changes in traction
- This action occurs automatically, requiring no driver input whatsoever, meaning no driver distraction
- In extreme cases, quattro®quattro®Audi's quattro® permanent all-wheel drive, has had over 25-year-long tradition.quattro® with the Multi-Plate Clutch can transmit 100% drive force to the rear axle. Additionally, almost 100% of the drive force can also be transmitted to the front axle, when needed
Audi quattro® technology offers superior traction, acceleration, higher cornering speeds, improved straight line stability and more tractive power for a difference in driving dynamics you can feel.
Superior SafetySafetySee active safety and passive safety.Safety
Vehicles with quattro® technology offer unrivalled handling and reliability for superior levels of active safetyActive SafetyActive safety refers to everything designed to help prevent an accident from happening. Active Safety – even under bad weather and road surface conditions.
Elevate your Experience
Audi has pioneered the use of four-wheel drive in the luxury car, offering a safe and dynamic driving experience while simultaneously delivering a unique and exclusive level of driving pleasure.
An efficient, precise and powerful driving experience
- quattro® with Self-Locking Centre DifferentialDifferentialWhen a vehicle turns a corner, the inside wheels cover a shorter distance than those on the outside. Differential distributes propulsive power between the axles continuously in variable proportions and with practically no time delay
- Basic distribution of drive torqueTorqueTorque is what causes rotational speed to change. Just as greater net forces cause greater linear accelerations, greater torques cause greater rotational or angular accelerations.Torque : 60% to the rear axle and 40% to the front (this permits high levels of traction and responsive handling characteristics)
- If one axle loses grip, up to 85% of the tractive power can be diverted to the rear axle and up to 70% to the front
Optional Sports Differential
An option for vehicles utilizing the Self-Locking Centre Differential, the Sports Differential offers even more sporty dynamics. Now, not only can power be distributed from front to rear axle, but it can also be distributed between the rear wheels.
- Actively distributes power between the rear wheels
- Propulsive power is distributed quickly and continuously, counteracting any move away from the ideal line at the very onset
- Understeer is virtually eliminated while the vehicle turns spontaneously and directly into the bend, and maintains directional stability for a longer period of time
Inspired by motor sport
- Designed to ensure the vehicle acts like a rear wheel drive biased vehicle
- Between 10% and 35% of drive force can be transmitted to the front axle
- The viscous coupling is a fluid clutch. Inside, a fluid is heated by shearing, hereby changing its consistency from fluid to solid in an infinitely variable manner. This produces seamless power transmission from almost 0 to 100%
Greater agility, outstanding traction and precisely controllable, sporty handling.
- Achieves high lock-up torque values with its multi-plate clutch packages for enhanced traction
- Distrubution of torque takes place before unwanted wheel spin can occur
- Targeted braking of inner wheels causes additional drive torque to be directed to the outer wheels, significantly improving corner traction
Currently this system is only available on the upcoming RS5